Tuesday, July 17, 2012

8.) The Sidewalk Has Rules

This is one of those entries that I know I could write an entire essay on. I'm going to try and keep it short and simple, or else I'll just get myself so angry that I drink away the pain, or take it out on the ones I love.

The sidewalk has rules. It's not anarchy out there, people. No one has written them down, and no one's going to tell you them when you get off the bus at Port Authority, but there are rules.

Think about the sidewalk as you would a road you drive on. Everyone should stay to the right, thus creating two perfect streams of people. Don't take up the damn thing with your gaggle of friends (imagine two cars taking up both lanes, heading in the same direction). If you're going to veer to the left, check your blind-spot - someone might be trying to pass you. Don't come to an abrupt stop in the middle, pull over to the side. Keep up with the pace of traffic, unless you're elderly or disabled (if you are, pull over and let people pass). If you must text, watch where you're going.

If these rules are not followed, we develop what I refer to as "sidewalk rage." Want to know why New Yorkers can be rude sometimes? Probably because you've violated one of these rules. The sidewalks are our roads - they're how we get to work, or home, or wherever we're going. Show some respect.

By Joe Lankheet

No comments:

Post a Comment