Saturday, July 21, 2012

13.) We Can Spot A Tourist From A Mile Away

Maybe it's the clothes, they way they smell, the look in their eyes, the way they walk, or maybe it's the luggage and subway map (I can't say for certain), but New Yorkers can spot a tourist like an eagle hunting a rat. Honestly, it's hard to say exactly what it is. Yes, the luggage and subway map make it easy, but sometimes I just know.

I guess it just comes down to a look in their eyes - that look of "I've never seen any this before!" Most New Yorkers have the look of "I've seen this all. It's not interesting anymore. I hate my life." Just going about their day, unfazed by the homeless guy jerking-off next to the Duane Reade. It's true, the things that used to make us gasp with excitement are just part of the background now. When you've seen the Empire State Building 1,000 times, it's really not worth a second glance.

So, if you're visiting the city, and think you've got the clothes, attitude, and vernacular just right, and no one can tell you're from out of town, I'm sorry, we can...

By Joe Lankheet

No comments:

Post a Comment