Monday, July 16, 2012

5.) Hot Dogs

I have a feeling I'm going to get some slack for this one. Remember, this is an opinion website. Bloomberg ain't writing this shit. Here goes...

New York City hot dogs are not that good. I don't know who started the rumor that we have these amazing hot dogs, somehow inexplicably better than hot dogs anywhere else, but it's not true.

Awhile back, one of the Chilean miners that was trapped during the 2010 mine collapse came to NYC to run the marathon. Besides running, he did 2 things while on his trip: see the Statue of Liberty and eat a hot dog - neither of which impressed him. Of course he wasn't impressed! He looked at a big, green statue and ate boiled mystery meat on bread.

Our hot dogs are no different than anywhere else. Yes, I've been to Gray's Papaya. No, my mind wasn't blown. Sure, pile some chili and cheese on top, and you got yourself a pretty decent dog, but I think that has more to do with the chili and the cheese...

Do yourself a favor: skip the hot dog, and grab a felafel sandwich at Mamoun's instead (future article to come).

By Joe Lankheet

No comments:

Post a Comment