Saturday, July 14, 2012

2.) Expensive

The biggest complaint I hear from non-New Yorkers about their trip to NYC was how expensive it was. I'm not going to lie to you, it definitely can be. But there is a bigger picture here, and a lot of factors that play into this equation.

Firstly, our rent is significantly higher than most places in the U.S. But, if you're like me and 2/3 of the population here, you don't own a car. So, what does that mean? Well, as of right now, I spend $104 on an unlimited monthly subway card. All my transportation for an entire month costs me $104. How much do you pay on car payment, car insurance, gas, tolls, and repairs per month? Probably a lot more than $104.

Secondly, if you're a tourist, you probably have no idea where to eat, buy necessities, etc. So, you go to the first place that's convenient (usually right next to your hotel in Midtown), which is going to be insanely expensive. I haven't bought a damn thing in Midtown since I can remember. But New Yorkers know where to get stuff cheap. There are tons of place all over that are as cheap or even cheaper than anywhere else. You just got to know where to find them.

There are many other factors at play here as well, but I won't get into the whole thing. Is it more expensive? Certainly. But if you do your homework, it doesn't always have to be.

By Joe Lankheet

No comments:

Post a Comment