Saturday, July 28, 2012

20.) The Mole People

Ask me about the mole people. Please. I'm dying to talk about the mole people. This is one of the most fascinating pieces of NYC lore. For those of you who don't know, the mole people are a large group of subterranean homeless people living in the abandoned subway tunnels. No one knows exactly how many there are (because that would involving going down there), but some estimate in the several thousands.

All the information I know comes from a book and a couple documentaries on the subject, so I'm not an expert. But I shall grace you with all the information I know. Most of the mole people move underground for several reasons: to escape humanity, mistreatment, and the elements, to do drugs, to be apart of the underground community, and because they can build makeshift houses (even with running water and electricity!). They sometimes go above-ground to collect food and supplies, or to make money, but spend most of their time in the tunnels. They even form communities, with some enclaves electing a leader to make and enforce rules. All in all, doesn't seem like too bad of a situation...

Well, from most accounts, it's actually pretty awful down there. Rampant drug use and mental illness, crime, violence, filth and squalor. Most homeless people above-ground are terrified of the mole people. It's not a place you want to end up.

For more information, check out the book The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels Beneath New York City by Jennifer Toth, or the documentary Dark Days, directed by Marc Singer.




By Joe Lankheet

1 comment:

  1. Joe, I've read and seen both and I am fascinated by these people. If I were you,I would totally go down there. Providing that I was supremely paranoid and cracked out.

    Terry Kedley

    ReplyDelete